This is a basic tutorial in how to download, install, setup, start and shutdown a 7 Days To Die Dedicated server on Windows. It utilizes the SteamCMD function as opposed to the Steam Client, making it useful for command line setup, and should work in a similar way even on multiple platforms if SteamCMD is available.
1) Create Folder
2) Download steamcmd at https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd.zip
3) Extract to the working Folder
4) Run application
5) Set install directory with force_install_dir .\7DTD\ or as required.
6) Login (note: If you have issued with your user/steamguard, login anonymous, which should bypass steamguard)
7) app_update 294420 (latest stable 7dtd release)
9) Edit serverconfig.xml
10) run startdedicated.bat
11) telnet localhost 8081 to access server command prompt
Ports to forward on firewall for external access: TCP: 26900, UDP: 26900-26902
7 Days To Die Rat Tutorial: https://youtu.be/Xbs9QamwGTQ
Full steamcmd details – https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD